Workplace discrimination is something we’d like to believe is a thing of the past. Unfortunately, this is far from reality. In fact, acts of discrimination occur virtually every single day. If you were discriminated against because of your age, gender, race, or any other protected characteristic in the workplace, Herman Law Group is here to fight for the justice you deserve. Contact a Providence employment lawyer from our firm today to schedule your initial consultation with our dedicated legal team.
Employment Discrimination Lawyer Serving Clients in Providence, Rhode Island
Here at Herman Law Group, we understand just how frustrating, saddening, and overwhelming it can be to face an incident or multiple incidents of discrimination in the workplace. Unfortunately, this is something that many people throughout Rhode Island have to endure. If you’re one of them, you can feel confident in your selection of a Providence County, Rhode Island employment lawyer from our legal team to fight for you and your rights, every step of the way.
Discrimination Cases We Handle
Herman Law Group handles a wide array of cases dealing with discrimination in the workplace, including the following:
- Race Discrimination: Though we have made tremendous progress on the civil rights front for people of all races, there is still plenty of work to do. Unfortunately, many people are still subject to race discrimination in the workplace, and if you find yourself in this situation, you can depend on our experienced Providence, Rhode Island employment discrimination lawyer to fight for your rights.
- National Origin Discrimination: National origin discrimination is when someone discriminates against an employee on the basis of their national origin (i.e. where they were born, where they grew up, or where the discriminating individual perceives they were born). Doing so is not only offensive, but also illegal, as it violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- Age Discrimination: There are few things more insulting than being berated or otherwise mistreated because of your age. If you believe that you were recently fired, demoted, or otherwise discriminated against solely because of your age, you should know that our firm, and the law, are on your side. Age discrimination is prohibited under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, and our legal team is here to protect your rights.
- Disability Discrimination: The Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 states that employees are not to be discriminated against on the basis of a disability. The ADA also states that employees with disabilities are to be granted certain reasonable accommodations if needed. If you believe your rights under the ADA were violated, you will not find a more compassionate yet fierce legal representative than you will in Attorney Herman.
- Religious Discrimination: If you were discriminated against because of your religion, you should know that there is a very good chance you will have a valid claim. For example, if your religion does not coincide with a company’s dress code, under most circumstances, the company should make the exception based on it is your legal right. If you believe you were unfairly discriminated against or targeted because of your religion, our legal team is here to fight in your corner.
- Sex Discrimination: Unfortunately, many women are wrongfully discriminated against in the workplace. If you lost your job or otherwise were discriminated against because of your gender, our legal team is here to help.
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination: Being discriminated against because of your sexual preferences is unthinkable, especially in today’s day and age, where we’d like to believe we’re all more accepting of others than ever. Those discriminated against because of their sexual orientation can turn to Herman Law Group for assistance.
Filing a Discrimination Claim in Rhode Island
When someone is discriminated against, such as by being wrongfully terminated, paid less, or otherwise, they should do what they can to document the incident(s) of discrimination. They should then retain the services of a competent employment discrimination lawyer who can help them pursue a discrimination claim against their employer. That said, you must ensure you don’t wait too long to file your claim, as there is a statute of limitations in place.
If you’re looking to file a claim with the Rhode Island Human Rights Commission, you must do so within one year of the date the discrimination occurred. You should note that you are also welcome to fill out a complaint form with the Office of Diversity, Equity & Opportunity.
That said, if you’re looking to file a claim with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, you will have even less time to do so. In fact, you are required to bring your claim to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission within 180 days of the date the discrimination occurred. For this reason, it’s always best to simply speak with a skilled attorney about your case as soon after the incident(s) occurred as you can.
Contact an Employment Discrimination Lawyer Today
The bottom line is that if you were discriminated against in the workplace and require competent legal assistance, you’re in the right place. Herman Law Group has fought on behalf of those who’ve been discriminated against for years, and we are here to fight for you as well. Contact us today so we can listen to your story, develop a strategy, and work towards the justice you deserve.